BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Zwinky Layouts »

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Rosie.

I am a big supporter of pet rescue organisations and believe pre-loved pets make the most wonderful companions. I told myself that the first dog that our little family of 4 would get would be a rescue dog, needing a second chance. That is, until in 2012, we met Rosie.
A friend introduced us to a litter of puppies her Silky terrier had given birth to. They were furry, they were tiny and they were super cute. We certainly hadn't been talking about a getting a dog at that time. We had a cat and two young children and that seemed enough. But holding wriggling, yapping bundles of energy and cuteness will do something to you -- it will melt your heart and your strong resolve and before we knew it, my Husband and i were discussing getting a puppy. These certainly weren't free puppies, and in hindsight, it went against my stance now, that you shouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for cross breed puppies when you still have to pay hundreds of dollars in vet bills to desex them etc. But at the time, we were smitten and we wanted one of those puppies. We wanted our children to grow up with a puppy and we wanted a loyal companion for our whole family to enjoy.

The day we chose Rosie.

We chose a girl, and we named her Rosie. She was the cutest little thing . I remember taking her to a public event not long after we got her, and my husband carrying around this tiny little pup, enjoying all the extra attention the ladies were paying to him over this furry little bundle of cuteness. She was a bundle of energy and a bundle of love.

At the time, our children were four and two. They were so excited to have a puppy and to play with it. The excitement vanished for awhile, when there was the barking, the chewed up underwear and the not so nice surprises in the house, but still, Rosie became a much loved member of our family. 
Mischief and cuteness rolled into one.

I loved her to bits. I wanted her to be the dog we took everywhere, to family events, to day trips out, fishing, anywhere it was practical. 

There was the time we took her fishing and she decided she had had enough of the boat and jumped overboard, the kids thinking it was hilarious that the only thing we caught that day was a Rosie fish. She even, came on the back of a kayak with us. I loved it, and i think she did too. She loved being where-ever we were.

Kayaking. 

I adored her. I considered her my fur-kid. She was my little shadow, and she loved to curl up beside my back next to me in bed or between my Husband and I. When my kids and i went to England for a month to visit family, she missed us, and we missed her. I still have the Skype screenshot of her and my Hubby skyping us while we were gone and i remember how excited she was on the day we arrived home. Not long after returning from our trip, we adopted another dog, this time, from a rescue organisation. Her name was Roxy, and at that time, she seemed like  a mini-me of Rosie, that is, until she grew bigger and more chaotic and the resemblance wasn't quite there anymore, but the two of them were our two much loved hairy brown terriers . 
Roxy and Rosie.


I love Roxy, but Rosie was my favourite, maybe it was because she was the beautiful little dog we had owned since she was 7 weeks old and she was the little companion i had hoped would be around for a long time. 

But some things are just  not meant to be....






0 comments: